Library Workforce Development Scholarship - 13 by '17!
The School of Library and Information Science is offering Library Workforce Development "first class" scholarships to paraprofessional employees of libraries who begin their MLIS degrees in Fall 2017. The scholarship will pay tuition for their first class as MLIS students (approximately $2200). Students are required to register for a minimum of two classes in their first semester in order to receive this tuition award - additional financial aid may be needed.
Library paraprofessionals from across North America are encouraged to apply. SLIS hopes to broaden the geographic diversity of SLIS student body and enroll students representing all fifty states by Fall 2017.
To apply, new MLIS students should complete the application below. Students must upload a personal statement between 250 and 750 words stating their educational background and professional objectives. Applicants must also request recommendation letters from one individual who can assess their academic or professional qualifications.
Requirements to receive the scholarship include:
- employed by library - verification required
- (Examples: A letter by applicant's HR department verifying length of employment. Or, if applicant's letter of recommendation is from a library supervisor and it notes length of employment there, it may serve also as the verification of employment. Or a pay stub.)
- undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- two years of relevant work experience
- admission to the WSU-SLIS MLIS program - must be a new student
- one letter of recommendation
Applications are due by July 1, 2017 for the Library Workforce Development Scholarship.
Please e-mail letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship applicants must be admitted to the MLIS program and the recommendation letter received by the application deadline date.