SLIS Vision, Mission and Goals
SLIS Vision Statement
We foster learning and research about information policies, information fluency, and information accessibility within the global library and information environment.
SLIS Mission Statement
We combine theories with practices to educate leaders who advance the importance of information in society. We deliver accessible, high quality education incorporating professional scholarship and best practices. We focus on three pillars:
- Library Users and Services
- Information Management
- Archives and Digital Content Management
SLIS Goals and Objectives
TEACHING EXCELLENCE: SLIS will encourage and teach professional approaches and a service philosophy.
- SLIS will educate students in the history, philosophies, theories, principles, policies, and ethics of library and information science.
- SLIS will expose students to the historical, social, cultural, educational, political, and economic dimensions of information and information agencies.
- SLIS will provide the skills and dispositions for excellence in information service delivery.
- SLIS will continuously evaluate and apply evolving technologies to its teaching, learning, research, and service programs.
STUDENT SUCCESS: SLIS will cultivate a culture of student success.
- SLIS will incorporate career enhancement skills development into all courses.
- SLIS will promote relationships between students and other members of the campus community who support student learning and success.
- SLIS will deliver a "Distinctively Wayne State" experience that leverages our Detroit location, diversity, and academic and research excellence to better prepare students for success.
- SLIS will stress the importance of lifelong learning and will promote opportunities to sustain professional growth and achievement, including career mentoring.
RESEARCH: SLIS will foster, facilitate, and support research by faculty and students.
- SLIS will support faculty research and scholarly communication.
- SLIS will cultivate faculty engagement with student research experiences and skill development.
- SLIS will encourage and support students in presenting their research in courses, at conferences, and through publication.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: SLIS will be engaged within the diverse communities and world of which we are a part.
- SLIS will seek diversity among the faculty.
- SLIS will seek diversity and facilitate inclusion among the student body.
- SLIS will address the roles of library and information services in a diverse global society, paying particular attention to the underserved.
- SLIS will facilitate student experience in multicultural and multiethnic information environments.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: SLIS will practice and foster engagement in traditional as well as interdisciplinary research, scholarship, and practices that address important societal as well as information and library issues.
- SLIS will engage the library community, alumni, and employers.
- SLIS will promote commitment and involvement in professional associations and organizations.
- SLIS will encourage involvement in the community and community organizations.
- SLIS will support service activities and participation in leadership roles at the School, University, local, state, national, and international levels.